Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Evaluation

I'm really hoping to be ready for business in the spring but I can see that I still have a lot to learn. I made a list of some areas that I could really use improvement.

  • Try to get more interesting compositions. I do ok with my own family but I become very shy with others. I have to take more chances, get closer to my subjects and on their level, and be a bit more aggressive.
  • Better contrast- this will improve when I improve my sharpness and use of aperture and shutter.
  • Focus in on the eyes- I tend to try to focus the whole photo. That's fine on f/16 but with a larger aperture my depth of field is decreased significantly. So, when I think I'm focused, I get the photos back and see that the faces are softer than what I want. The eyes are the most important thing for me to focus on, unless I'm focusing on another feature on purpose.
  • Work on my focus/sharpness/crop in general. I should check each corner and know what's in the frame.
  • Always be aware of the sun's position and the direction of the light- I'm really doing better at this.
  • Always remember to adjust my aperture and shutter- And it might be wise to take some notes until I get the digital camera, which will record this info for me. I'm still playing around with exposures but I do tend to remember to check. Of course, that doesn't mean I get it right, hence taking notes...

I don't know. I'm going to have to re-evaluate myself after a few more sessions and see where I stand then.

No comments: